Zoila on State Street

One day I was walking down State Street in Chicago heading home from lunch with a friend. I happened upon a little old lady who was sitting on a planter and asking for money. I stopped to chat with her and learned that she didn't speak much English. Thankfully, we understood each other better in Spanish and were able to have a nice conversation. She was from Spain.

She was wearing a black head scarf and a long, flowing, tan dress. She wore sandals that looked like they were tired of walking. No jewelry.

She told me her name was Zoila. She was hoping to meet people on the street who could help meet her needs. She lived with her two daughters in a tiny apartment in the city. They didn't have enough money for both shelter and food so they decided to keep the apartment and eat when there was extra money.

I said "I'm sorry I don't have any cash with me to give you. Is there anything I can buy or something I can do for you while I'm here?" She smiled saying "Oh, I don't need money! I need your prayers."

Astonished, I offered to pray with her right there. So Zoila and I prayed on the ground that day. It felt wonderful to take it to God. To be faced with the choice to eat or have minimal shelter would make many of us angry with God or even question his existence. But for Zoila, it was a reason to turn to him. For Zoila, God is still good.

God ministered to me and my Heart through Zoila that day. Though she was in need of money, food, and probably a better place to live, Zoila considered her greatest need to be God. She considered being in his presence and heard by him more valuable that money that would buy her next meal.

This unforgettable new friend challenged me to go to God in with my troubles and needs. She challenged me to recognize that God is good despite my circumstances. She reminded me of the truth and joy that it is just to be in his presence.

Adios.
Go with God.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tony

Dear God