Tony

One day I was spending time on the streets of Chicago with a few friends. We met a lot of people that day but one in particular stood out to me. His name is Tony.
We found Tony sitting on a metal post at the end of one of the bridges that cross the Chicago River. He was dressed poorly for the chilly weather and looked exhausted yet content. We approached and asked if we could sit with him and talk for a while. He welcomed us into his space.
We shared a little about ourselves and asked Tony about his own story. He shared a most surprising tale considering his circumstances. 
"I've been homeless for a few years now. I had trouble paying my bills and ended up evicted and without anyone willing to hire me. So I try to find work here and there but it's hard to get consistent work when I can't even clean myself up! I mostly sleep outside but sometimes make enough to get a room for the night. It's great to be able to shower and have a warm meal every now and then."
My friends and I were stunned. This polite, respectable man who had lost everything for no apparent reason was not the least bit angry or even cynical about his situation. He didn't gamble or drink. No drugs or irresponsibility. Maybe we were naive to believe him but he seemed sincere. Tony told us another story that confirmed our suspicion that he might just be an exceptional guy in a tough situation.
"I prefer to get a motel room over staying in a shelter when I can. Sometimes shelters can be dangerous. One time a man stole all I had from me while I was sleeping. I had one of those drawstring bags that I used to carry my toothbrush, soap, washcloth, and a few other things I had picked up. He took everything. But I was so tired, I slept right through it. I'm glad I did too."
One of us asked "why are you glad you slept through it? He took everything you had!"
"Well, I figure if he thought it was worth it to steal what little I had, he needs it a lot more than I do."
I like that. I think Tony was right. Although I wish no one would steal, Tony's perspective inspires me to consider the troubles of those who hurt me and have compassion for them. Hard things in my life have certainly led me to do bad things and hurt people. Hard things in the life of another may lead them to hurt me too.
We certainly need to be held responsible for our actions. Justice must be delivered. A price must be paid. But justice served with compassion is beautiful.
Now I am challenged when people hurt me to ask the questions: What pain have they endured to bring them to do this? Do they need my anger or my compassion?











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zoila on State Street

Dear God