A Treasure, A Princess

In college I developed a strong friendship with one of my pastors, Wayne. He became my primary mentor and partner in ministry. One day I came to him with some concerns about dating. I didn't want to date, I didn't see anyone worth dating, I sometimes had crushes (which I hated), and I didn't like the guys that like me. How was I supposed to know when to give someone a chance?

We were eating some awesome lasagna because it was Home Fellowship night. We kind of ditched the fellowship to have this discussion. Wayne assured me that it was okay to have crushes and it was okay not to accept every suitor. He explained it in a way I never would have believed coming from most other people.

"You're God's daughter. Since God's the King that makes you a Princess. So you are a treasure. Any man that doesn't see that is not worth dating!" With a mouth full of lasagna I said "thank you."

I was stunned. I had never made those connections before! If God is who I know he is, and he's done what he said he'd do, then I'm a legitimate Princess in the Kingdom of God. What???

So I'm a Princess.

Several months later I found myself wrestling with another crush. I really, really, really liked this guy named Tim Cortés. He was quiet (mysterious), playful, wise, and courageous. I begged God to relieve me of my feelings for Tim in order to make working with him (every single day) easier on me. But the feelings persisted.

Eventually he told me he liked me too! Yay! And we began to discuss the possibility of dating. I was pretty excited and a little freaked out and in need of constant reminders that I wasn't dreaming. 

I began to give in to anxious thoughts. "What if he's not The One?" "I don't want to waste time dating him if we're not compatible for marriage! Ahh! Am I going to marry him???" "Wayne said he has to know I'm a Princess. Does he?" "I barely know him! We probably shouldn't try dating long distance just yet." "I can't go home and tell Wayne I don't know if he knows I'm a Princess!"

At a lunch meeting/date/period of awkwardness, Tim said he wanted to share some thoughts with me. He said "I realize that you are a princess. You're very special and worthy of great things. I want to make sure I always treat you like a princess and never forget what you are."

Let that sink in.

It was divine confirmation as far as I'm concerned! At that moment, I trusted Tim. And I've been growing in that trust ever since. Because of my relationship with Tim I have greater confidence in God. And my confidence in both of them is growing all the time.

Thank you, Wayne!

Gracias, Jesus :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zoila on State Street

Tony

Dear God