This Moment's Mission

Dear friends,

I struggle to be still when I could be serving. If there's something left undone, I feel like I have to do it. If there's someone left unheard, I feel like I have to give them my time and attention. If there's a need, I have to meet it to the best of my ability. I'm learning (and have been for years) that it's not always God's intention to have me meet every need or cram every service opportunity  into my day.


Jesus' life on Earth must have been overflowing with opportunities to give time, teaching, a listening ear, and hugs to people in need. There must have been an extremely high demand for his powers to heal, cast out demons, and resurrect loved ones! And Jesus knew he could do it. So why did he spend 30 years living among us before he began his ministry? Was carpentry his true passion? Was he reluctant to fix problems? Did he not really love us? 


I believe, like with everything he did, Jesus waited with purpose. I won't pretend to know exactly why he waited, but I do want to follow his example. I've been discouraged many times because I feel like I'm wasting time that could be better used helping someone, going on a mission, changing a life. This discouragement usually leads to me not getting adequate rest and eventually getting sick and frustrated about "wasting" more time! But why did Jesus seem so comfortable not getting things done? He must have known something that I don't know. 


I tend to think I need to be out working in a community of people who need to experience the Love of God instead of working to slowly pay off student loans and living a comfortable life. I sometimes feel like I'm not living up to my potential because I've seen how God works in and through me on the mission field, so that's where I need to be. I try to remember that when Jesus was my age, he too was waiting to begin a different mission doing his Father's work. But I bet he was content working out God's will where he was instead of wishing for the next exciting phase to begin. And I know God is still working in and through me now, where I am! The truth is I am on a mission and this mission is important too.


If God has plans for me to work in a different vocation later on, I'm sure he'll get me there. In the mean time, I hope I can follow Christ's example of contentedness and patience as I wait on God. Perhaps this period in my life is a gift of rest and preparation for whatever comes next!


I'm inspired by the story of Lazarus. Jesus mourned his death right before he brought him back to life. I want to be present in each moment like Jesus was. I want to experience what God is doing in my life right now even if He's about to do something awesome in a few seconds. I want to look at Him now instead of trying to see beyond him. And I want to be content in waiting for what God has planned while resting in the truth that He's active even now. He can use each of us to help someone, to be missional, and to change lives right where we are. Today I choose to trust him to do just that.


Love,

Rebecca Danae

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zoila on State Street

Tony

Dear God